Thursday, October 29, 2009

Anita Dunn's alibi debunked

From Mickey Kaus at Slate:

Anita Dunn's Alibi: The Case of the Confusing Chinese?

Obama Communications Director Anita Dunn says she was only cribbing from Lee Atwater when she approvingly quoted from Mao Tse-Tung in a graduation speech. ... Funny thing, though. I can't find a place where Atwater cited Mao. I can find lots of places where Atwater referenced Sun Tzu, whose Art of War he supposedly carried around in dog eared form. ... Hmmm .... [Thanks to alert reader D.] 5:52 P.M.
I'm glad somebody checked this out.  When I first heard about Anita Dunn's invocation of Atwater as an explanation of her "Mao favorite philosopher satire", it immediately rang hollow to me.
"My source for the Mao quote was actually the late Lee Atwater, either in an article or bio I read after the 1988 election. Now that I’ve revealed this I hope I don’t get Keith Olbermann angry with me," she wrote, noting that she had also quoted Mother Teresa.
The Lee Atwater that I remember, would have never said such a thing.  And how convenient and contemptible it was for her to affiliate herself with a deceased antithetical political rival.  The fact that she lied, speaks for itself.

1 comment:

  1. Anita Dumb is also a liar. She probably wishes that she had said, "I heard Lee Atwater refer to Mao", rather than "I read an article or bio"... Perhaps she can produce this document... But since she has so few critics in the 'legitimate' media, she won't waste her time.

    ReplyDelete